Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Saying goodbye to your favorite series.

     Television series can occasionally start feeling like friends. You see them every week or so, save for their occasional vacations, and you quickly allow some to get closer than others. You might have watched Law & Order when it was on, but only when there was nothing else you cared more about. On the other hand, you never missed an episode of 24, and you followed that series breathlessly through the good times and Season 6.
   This is why it's so hard when a show ends as psych does tomorrow night. Psych is one of those rare shows that I've watched from the very beginning. Seriously, since Day 1. Now, with its eighth and final season coming to  close, I ruminate on the ups and downs of psych, and of the many other shows that I've lost over the years.
       It's hard to say goodbye to a well liked show no matter how it ends, whether cancelled, cut short, or with a proper finale. You still have to say goodbye to a show that you had scheduled as part of your week. psych will be no different. My Wednesdays will still be busy, and I can, in fact, function without a show to every night of the week, but I'll miss Shawn and Gus, and their hectic and comedic adventures. I'll miss the various alternate theme songs that popped up from time to time. I'll miss the occasional Val Kilmer reference. (anyone else annoyed that they never managed to get him on the show? I mean, come on) psych isn't as good as it was for its first three seasons. But it was still a show I thoroughly enjoyed, and I'll be sad to see it gone.

*Updated after the finale. Great ending, and I will not spoil anything, but I am not disappointed or annoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment