Monday, May 5, 2014

Would a Title by any other name be as boring?

Exceptionally quick post today, guys, as my laptop is in the shop, and I kinda wanted to do a different post, but for the moment that's out of my hands. Anyway, let's talk about a pressing issue in Hollywood that's kinda been driving me nuts for awhile: Why do people suck at naming movies?

      Seriously, guys, a movie was just released called "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" just 10 short years after a film called "Spider-Man 2" And Don't think I've forgotten about "The Fast and The Furious" and it's third "oh-so-cleverly-named" sequel "Fast and Furious" This extends to the video game world as well, what was the latest installment in the Tomb Raider franchise dubbed? Simply "Tomb Raider" Thanks, guys, I get it was a reboot, but even lame names like "Tomb Raider: Reborn" or "Tomb Raider: The Island of the Sun Queen" would have been improvements.
      What about it guys? Am I alone on wanting movies to have more thought put in the name and/or coming up with an unforgettable title*? or are you totally content with titles like "Jack Reacher" or "Alex Cross"?  And, bonus question, what makes a good title, in your opinion?





      *The upcoming Tom Cruise movie "Edge of Tomorrow" was originally named "All You Need is Kill" The new name seems to be fine, and descriptive of the actual movie, and of all the examples, I actually like this name a lot.... but guys, we were this close to getting a movie named something as bonkers as "All You Need is Kill" I didn't know how badly I wanted a movie to be named that until the chance was stolen away from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment